As I work with clients on planning the perfect vacation for them and their families one area that people are often a bit apprehensive is when I mention a cruise vacation. I’m not sure where the apprehension comes from though. Maybe it is the small room, maybe it is leaving the country, maybe it is the fear of getting seasickness, or maybe it is just not being on dry land. Whatever the case may be cruising can come with fear or apprehension and with that in mind I’m going to give you five reasons why cruising may just be the vacation you’ve been waiting for. Keep your mind open and maybe, just maybe this list will put to rest some of the objections you or someone in your family has towards cruising.
- Cruising is Family Friendly - Cruises are truly a family friendly experience and are the ultimate way for a family to vacation together. Cruises give your family the chance to participate in activities together, that everyone will enjoy, and will bring your family closer together, but they are also going to give each person their own individual experiences. Regardless of the ages of the various members of your family a cruise is going to have something for everyone. From the kids clubs, to the teen areas, to the adult entertainment districts there are options on-board to suit everyone. Your family is going to get the best of both worlds. You are going to have time together whether it is during activities or nightly during the world class dinner service and you will have time for each individual to do what suits them. What could be better?
- Ships are Safe Places - Another negative that comes along with cruising is the safety factor, both in terms of being away from land and the aspects of being on the ship such as sea sickness. Cruise ships are actually a very safe mode of travel. What other vacation destination that you may book has the ability to sail around bad weather? Good luck having the Caribbean resort pick up and move to keep you out of the storm! Cruise lines have very high safety requirements and they are actually a very safe place to be. In terms of sea sickness this is a problem that gets talked up more than it should. The large cruise ships of today have great technology and this includes large stabilizers that get enabled while the ship is at sea. Don’t get me wrong, sea sickness can happen and it could happen to you, but chances are it won’t, and if it does it probably will not be as bad as it sounds. Carry some sea sickness medication with you just in case and the ship is also very proactive and helpful in these situations providing medicine if it is needed. The only other note is if you are traveling with children make sure and talk to your doctor about what medicine would be appropriate should they experience any nausea on-board.
- See Many Destinations Without Repacking - One of the biggest benefits to cruising is that you get to see multiple destinations without having to unpack, repack, and unpack again. Once again, this would be a lot more difficult if you were having to travel over land and stay in multiple hotels just to see different destinations. Not to mention you aren’t traveling in a bus or car, you are traveling in a massive floating city with hundreds of things to keep you busy and any type of food you could imagine. Sounds pretty good doesn’t it!
- Cruising is a Great Value - Another way that cruising is different than a land vacation is the better value it provides. Food is included, most of the activities onboard are included, and entertainment is included. All of these things make cruising a great value compared to land based vacations, not to mention the pure convenience of having your vacation paid for upfront versus coming home with hundreds of dollars in credit card charges for your meals. There are some parts of a cruise that are not included, such as alcoholic beverages and specialty dining, but the vast majority of things onboard are included and you can certainly have a fantastic cruise without spending much if anything onboard.
- Today’s Cruise Ships are Destinations - A final reason cruising is a great vacation option is that in today’s world the ships themselves are a great destination. There are many cruise ships that you could go on and have one week at sea with no ports of call and still have a fantastic vacation. The amount of entertainment on board is enough to sustain families of all types and sizes and of course there is a wide variety of food to satisfy you. Cruise ships being built today even have modern amenities such as bumper cars, ropes courses, ice skating, surfing, and zip lines, just to name a few. Just as that resort or theme park can be a destination on land the ships are destinations in and of themselves when we talk about cruising.